This design is based on the Mustang kept at the Israeli Airforce Museum today. Disruptive patterns for the period are too varied to provide a definitive scheme. The first pair of Mustangs to arrive in Israel were quickly assembled and rushed into service in Israel's first fighter squadron. They were first stationed at Herzelia and later at Castina. The aircraft was by far the best in IDF/AF service. Its superior range enabled it to conduct reconnaissance missions all over the Middle East. In addition, it was faster than any airplane on the Arab side, and was not threatened by interception.
The first encounter between Mustangs and enemy fighters occurred on January 5th, 1949. A short dogfight opposed the Israeli Mustang to Egyptian Macchi MC.205s, the fight ending with no casualties on either side. On January 7th however, the two Mustangs were escorting three T-6 Harvards on a strike mission when they were intercepted by six MC.205s. In the ensuing dogfight, the Mustangs shot down three Egyptian fighters, showing the P-51's superior